What is the Affordable Care Act?
The 2020-2021 Affordable Care Act Open Enrollment season will begin on November 1, 2020, and has been extended to May 15, 2021, for many states.
The Affordable Care Act, also known as the health care law or Obama Care, was created to
- expand access to affordable health care coverage to all Americans
- lower the costs of health insurance
- improve the quality and care of the health insurance system in the United States
Under the Affordable Care Act, people will have:
• health coverage that meets a minimum standard (called “minimum essential
• qualify for an exemption; or
• pay a penalty if they choose to stay uninsured