What is the Affordable Care Act?
The 2017 Affordable Care Act Open Enrollment season will begin on November 1, 2016 and ends on January 31, 2017.
The Affordable Care Act, also known as the health care law or Obama Care, was created to
- expand access to affordable health care coverage to all Americans
- lower the costs of health insurance
- improve the quality and care of the health insurance system in the United States
Under the Affordable Care Act, people will have:
• health coverage that meets a minimum standard (called “minimum essential
• qualify for an exemption; or
• pay a penalty if they choose to stay uninsured